Monday, October 8, 2012

Let's Go Haunting: The Vintage Ouija Edition

The date was September 22nd. It was a breezy Saturday morning and knowing that the flea market season would soon come to an end here in Philadelphia, I decided to take a look around a few local spots.

I didn't find much, just a few records. When I was about to leave my second flea market, I spotted a sign. Across the street, tucked away just behind a sharp turn of a small residential street, was a homemade cardboard sign marked "Yard Sale." I decided to check it out before grabbing a cup of coffee. 

There was a small assortment of inexpensive dolls, scuffed and worn handbags and Christmas crafting supplies. Then, I saw it. Seemingly out of place, I found this William Fuld Talking Board.

While the Ouija board in its earliest form was born in 1890, this particular incarnation  of the Mystifying Oracle was sold to Parker Brothers in 1966.




I love the solid masonite board...




...and the cream color of the plastic message indicator...




...and the graphics with the detailed instructions on the back of the box.

Did you know that the Ouija rules state a preference to the two persons using the board being "a gentleman and a lady?"

According to the instructions, "it draws two people using it into close companionship and weaves about them a feeling of mysterious isolation..."

And in keeping with the mysterious, above all else I love this flea market find because...

September 22nd, if you recall, was the start of the autumnal equinox. Yes, I bought a vintage Ouija board.... secondhand... from some random yard sale...on the autumnal equinox---the celestial equilibrium between day and night.

OOOOHHHH creepy. Of course, you know my theories on secondhand scares and personal the imprint of the former owners. And with me bringing a secondhand Ouija board into the house, I feel like I'm just sending an open invitation to any ghost who just happens to be hanging 'round the neighborhood. Well, it is October after all.

Incidentally, this is how Regan's problems started. Just saying...



William Fuld Talking Board Ouija, 1966: $2
Ghost: Free with purchase

6 comments:

Vanessa said...

LOVE IT! I'd have bought this vintage beauty on the holy equinox without hesitation! I may have mentioned I don't believe in imprinting but I have experienced paranormal phenomenon...I used a Ouija board once and I swear to the holy thrift lords that thing worked. I never got one to work except for that one day with three friends, whatever was communicating with us answered questions NO ONE there could know.

Try using it with someone who's been successful before, you may be surprised...

Jackie Jardine said...

The thought of perhaps putting myself into a creepy situation actually didn't occur to me until after I started waking back to my car with the Ouija in my arms, ha ha.

I'm thinking of busting it out on Halloween. So I guess we'll see!

<3 Jackie @ Let's Go Thrifting!

Rae - Say It Aint So said...

very cool! i'm always to scared to use a ouija board! my friend brought hers over to my house because she was too scared to use it at hers! thanks a LOT! hahah.

Jackie Jardine said...

Ha ha. Ah what's friendship for if not bringing a ghost over to play? Ha ha!

<3 Jackie @ Let's Go Thrifting!

Siemers Rafter Room said...

If strange things start to happen, you may want to resell the thing.
I had one as a kid, and yes they can work. However what you let in to talk to you may not want to leave again.
Is that a portal you really want to open?
Perhaps better to just let it inactive on the shelf.

Jackie Jardine said...

No worries, Margaret. Nothing weird happening yet. But you better believe that would be going elsewhere if there were some strange happenenings.

<3 Jackie @ Let's Go Thrifting