Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Week in Review: My New Left Shoe

Admittedly, there was not a lot of thrift productivity this week. This is for a couple of reasons:
  1. My right foot is still booted from the stress fracture.
  2. Due to the inconvenient boot and the inability to drive, I’m at the mercy of others when it comes to getting out of the house.
  3. I’m kind of broke and still awaiting my temporary disability payment. (Isn’t it just a little sad when you’re too broke to go thrift shopping)?
Earlier in the week, I had a run-in with a mob of angry clowns. But Saturday night, I paid a visit to 2nd Avenue and bought only the essentials:


Girl with Flowers
60 cents and worth every penny.
 An adorable framed vintage tile piece with a little 70’s girl holding flowers. She's a bit dusty, but otherwise too cute to pass-up.

I also found a gorgeously kitsch framed 70’s yarn art for my best friend. (Photo will be posted a bit later). Truth be told, I love this piece and want it for my own. I just have no available wall space. Plus she has a similar 70’s floral decor theme and this would make a nice addition. It should also be noted that she’s been rescuing me from constant couch vegetation and literally pushed me around the mall last week in a rented wheelchair. Now that’s friendship.


New Left Shoe
Brand new, never worn Converse for $5.
And irony of ironies, I also scored a pair of brand new Converse One Star canvas flats. Of course I would thrift a pair of perfect-fit, size 11 shoes while I have a busted foot. But it’s not like I could just ask them to sell me just the left one for a discounted price, right?

This upcoming week will be bustling with frantic secondhand organizing as I prepare for a garage sale next Saturday. It’s just time to let go of a few things, maybe make some money, make some room. Then I will have a cleaner, better organized space for other new-to-me thrift acquisitions. Out with the old and in with the…old, I guess.

How was your thrifting week?

8 comments:

Vanessa said...

She is soooooo cute, I'm always looking for cute mod girls like that. I'm trying to draw up a line of those for sale. This one inspires me!

I'm now randomly injured too-- at least I got the house cleaned up before rendered practically immobile ;)

Good luck and feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

I can empathize on the being broke and being without the freedom to get around - although I am saving a ton by not buying gas and hitting thrift stores.
Your cute new shoes will help you heal faster! Planning a sale yourself right now is ambitious.

Jackie Jardine said...

Oh no, not another injured thrifter, Van! Best wishes to you for a quick recovery, as well.

That's true, Dogsmom. I am limiting expenditures that aren't a top priority. But the boredom certainly isn't a good time. I have a gotten a far amount of writing and reading done, though. As far as the garage sale is concerned, the date was already set and mostly everything was gone through weeks ago. Since it's a multi-family garage sale, I can't really cancel. Plus I could use what little income I can get. So hopefully I'll purge a bunch of things!

Flo said...

That vintage tile is *so* cute! I hope you're on the mend and feel better soon!

Jackie Jardine said...

Thanks, Flo! My friend spotted it on the shelf and pointed it out, said it reminded her of me, lol.

Nancy S. said...

Still can't post on blogs which don't have the comments on a separate pop-up page. It's well over a month now and I cannot figure out why they cannot fix it. I wish I could call Google. Anyway, I did well today - a gorgeous duvet cover and two shams in French blue for $9.00, some gorgeous creamware cream soups with saucers which look like Wedgwood Patrician, a gorgeous shower curtain that seems custom made, great books (as always at Impact), a lovely soft pink matelasse cover for a full sized bed, two rose colored towels and one in French blue with a lovely fabric strip sewn across the bottom edge and some blue and white porcelain. Banner day.

Marsha Cooper said...

Sadly, I'm always too broke to go thrift shopping, or yard sale shopping for that matter!
I must figure out how to make more online so that I can not miss the bargains.
I mostly shop for crafting supplies.

Jackie Jardine said...

I'm sorry to year that, Marsha. The good news is that a lot of thrift stores are incorporating color-tag sales it seems. For instance, many of the Salvation Armies near me will rotate which colored tags are 25-50% off...and every once in a while, there will be a store-wide 50% off sale. That's definitely a plus.